Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2010
Last Updated: November 8, 2011.
The Department announced in ET-93 (Mar. 3, 2010) that the custom-made rain parka from the LA County Firefighters’ Association is now the first department-approved rain parka.
The Firefighters’ Association is selling the rain parkas at factory cost ($48), plus LA County sales tax (approx $4.50), plus shipping (approx $7.50 – $10.50). In the future, the Association will not sell the rain parkas; instead, a vendor will sell for a profit.
Notable design attributes of this firefighter-designed rain parka include:
- Breathable material.
- Double-stitching on all seams and reflective tape for increased durability.
- Two integrated hip pockets sized for the Motorola XTS 5000R handy-talkies and corresponding lapel microphone tabs sewn into each mid-clavicle area.
- The zipper’s lower terminus is located at the belt-line to maximize mobility and range of motion.
- The rain hood can be detached or stowed inside the parka collar.
- Meets and exceeds the current ANSI 107 (2004) requirements for a “Class 3” high visibility garment.
The rain parkas are made in Asia. As a result, 70 days elapse from the time a deposit is made by the Firefighters’ Association, the parkas are fabricated, and the shipping container clears US Customs.
1) Ordering will be available online only.
2) Sizing will be based on the CHEST and SLEEVE sizes listed in your turnout coat on the label, to minimize exchanges.
3) Payment will only occur through payroll deduction (AFTER the rain parka is shipped to one’s home address), to streamline the process.
4) Authenticating the purchaser will be done through the last four digits of one’s SSN, home zip code and turnout coat size entered on the web page order form.